July, 2019 - 150 year celebration. Reenactment of the bullocks crossing the Dalrymple crossing.
THE HISTORIC TOWN OF ALLORA
61 Herbert St. Allora, Queensland 4362
Allora, a rural town on the Dalrymple Creek, is 20 km north of Warwick and 125 km south-west of Brisbane. The area was part of the Goomburra pastoral run (1841) occupied under licence by Ernest Dalrymple. A shepherd's' crossing on Dalrymple Creek became a regular stopping place, and by the mid-1840s a blacksmith's shop was opened there, later carrying stores and expanding to become an inn.
Before the arrival of Europeans the area around Allora was inhabited by the Aboriginal Keinjan language group. The first European to pass through the district was Allan Cunningham on his 1827 expedition. When Cunningham recounted stories of the richness of the Darling Downs he inspired a number of men from Aberdeenshire in Scotland to emigrate. They included former Aberdeenshire resident E.E. (Ernest Elphinstone) Dalrymple, which the local creek is named after, took up the Goomburra pastoral run near Allora in July, 1840. This crossing on Dalrymple Creek became a regular stopping place, and by the mid-1840s a blacksmith's shop was established there. In 1857 the Dalrymple Hotel was built carrying stores and expanding to become an inn.
Queensland did not become a self-governing state until 1859 and prior to that Allora became an important centre when the New South Wales government (which still controlled the district) decided that Allora would be the northern outpost of the colony.
53 Warwick St, Allora QLD 4362
The Allora & District Historical Society operate two museums in Allora, the Old Allora Shire.
Admission is $2.00
The main museum (Old Allora Shire Hall) is open Sunday 1.30pm-4.00pm and by appointment on any day. The School of Arts is open by appointment only. A display and demonstration day is held annually.